Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sapper Joe's Vietnam Malaise...

I bowed out a 10mm Vietnam game this afternoon ran by Sapper Joe (Joe Collins).  Everything conspired against Joe to put on his game.  He said he'd either enjoy running his 10mm Vietnam Charlie Don't Surf! or he's sell everything to the lowest bidder in the Ukraine...

Alas, I didn't stay to see what devious ruses Sapper Joe had for my friends (Hostile Contact, Combat Colours, and David Schaefer).  If it was like Joe's French and Indian War scenarios, I think caution was the better part of the day.  Don't get me wrong, I do like playing Vietnam War games.  However, I've been torn over scales and rules for the past several years.  At first, my local group of friends wanted to play 20mm Vietnam.  Then 10mm became the rage with Cold War Commander.  The problem with 10mm is I can't see to paint it.  And multi-player Cold War Commander games just don't work out well.  It's better to run Cold War Commander as a two player game because of the unit activation system and my chances of rolling blown command rolls.

Now, my friends are wanting to play Vietnam FOW in 15mm using the Tour of Duty rolls.  Don't get me wrong, I like FOW.  But I'm going be killing my eyes to paint 15mm FOW WWII in a year or two.  My bifocals work better with 20mm or 28mm figures.  So I moved up to 28mm and plan to use Ambush Valley with Force on Force.  I'm not thrilled with Ambush Valley.  But it's workable.  So I bought my 28mm Americans and Vietnam civilians.  Now I need two platoons of 28mm VC.  Afterward, I'll buy 28mm prepainted huts and 28mm palm trees.  I'll see about painting up my 28mm Vietnam figures sometime in 2014.  And I'll be ready to game with my own figures.  Assuming Sapper Joe doesn't say the hell with all his Vietnam figures and melt them down as slag!

Though Combat Colors will have his own 15mm Vietnam figures in the seeable future...

1 comment:

  1. I use Disposable Heroes for everything from WW1 to moderns. Give 'em a try from Iron Ivan games.

    ReplyDelete