Saturday, January 11, 2014

More book buying or how to waste money...

Like Sapper Joe, I have a backlog of books to catch up reading.  However, I made a conscience effort to read more on Saturdays.  But I keep buying more books and adding them to my pile of unread novels!

Fortunately, I make it a habit to read the things I buy.  I'm hoping the pile will be cleared up by the end of the year.  Here is what I have on my plate:

1)  The Faded Sun Trilogy by C.J. Sherryh.  I started this last weekend.  It's a long trilogy of stories.  About 750 pages.  I'd like to have it read by the end of January 2014.

2)  Death of Integrity by Guy Haley.  A WH40K Blooddrinker's novel.  414 pages.

3)  Space Viking by H. Beam Piper.  Retro-sci-fi novel from the 1940's.  164 pages.

4)  The Martian Tales Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  Burrough's John Carter of Mars tales from 1912-1914.  669 pages.

5)  Doc Salvage:  The Infernal Buddha by Kenneth Robeson.  New Doc Savage novel written in May 2012.  302 pages.

6)  Ravenwing by Gav Thorpe.  A WH40K Dark Angel novel about the Ravenwing company.  412 pages.

7)  The Element of Surprise:  Navy Seals in Vietnam by Darryl Young.  Account of Navy Seals working on the Mekong delta in 1970.  274 pages.

8)  Gone Native:  An NCO's Story by Alan G. Cornett.  Seven year story of an American soldier involved with the Phoenix program in Vietnam.  292 pages.

9)  A History of Ancient Egypt:  From the First Farmers to the Great Pyramid by John Romer.  Newly published, I started reading it today.  I had to put it down and save it for later.  John Romer is an excellent author and historian who specialty is Egyptology and the Classical world.  This is the first volume that focuses on the formation of the Old Kingdom.  The second volume to be published will deal with the Middle and New Kingdoms.  475 pages.

10)  Fangs of the Lone Wolf:  Chechen Tactics in the Russian-Chechen Wars 1994-2009 by Dodge Billingsley.  Newly published about the the Chechen conflicts.  181 pages.

I've got some other books.  But I'll save them for the next blog posting.  I'm starting a new project this year and I'll say more about it later...

No comments:

Post a Comment