Saturday, December 6, 2014

Learning to read ancient Egypt: Part 1

They say the way to hell is paved with good intentions.  I bought a small library of books on ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs with the intention of teaching myself ancient Egyptian.  Of all the things I could do with my time, I decided upon doing this.  I would have been better off learning Norwegian or Japanese.

Alas, I'd already bought the books including one called "Learning to Read Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs."

So about a month ago, I finally get around to learning the first lesson.  Each hieroglyph stands for a consonant.  I'm in the process of learning 1 consonant signs.  This whole process has been interrupted by my father's deteriorating medical conditions.  I'm sending a good part of my day watching him.

I should be using my downtime with my father to study ancient Egyptian.  I've spent my free time watching American football or English Premier League soccer.  I haven't finished the first lesson.  I want to finish it.  I'll go through the first part of the lesson and then move onto determinative signs.

I'm not good at languages because of my written dyslexia.  I had troubles through out high school and college with both German and Latin.  I still think I can get more accomplished if I devote my downtime to studying and working out the hieroglyphs.  Still, it's slow going.  But I think with enough time, I'll be able master it and then move on....

No comments:

Post a Comment