Monday, December 8, 2014

Review of Agent of Byzantium by Harry Turtledove

Author:  Harry Turtledove.
Title:  Agent of Byzantium.
Publisher:  Worldwide.
Copyright:  1988 (out of print).
Pages:  256.
Price:  $3.95 (US).

Overview and impressions:
I read this book when I was in college.  The previous book I'd read before that was "A Rebel in Time" by Harry Harrison.  Agent of Byzantium was my introduction to alternative history novels.

The book is a collection of short stories involving Basil Argyros, a magistos of the Emperor.  Argyros is involved in discovering the formula for gun powder, the printing press, and preventing a barbarian invasion of nomads upon the Byzantium and Persian empires.

The main premise of the book is the conversion of Mohammed to Christianity and not founding Islam.  The alternative historical Europe proceeds from there.

It was a good novel when I read it.  I didn't realize it was so short.  I wouldn't mind rereading it.  I tried picking through it today.  But the dust mites were so bad, my eyes watered horribly.  I hope this won't happen with the other old paperbacks I bought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment