Thursday, January 28, 2016

Late January 2016 reading...

I've been reading a local manuscript called Guards.  It's about security guards working in South Boston, MA during the 1980s.  It's pretty funny.  The author is a great humorist.

I'm also reading Alien vs. Alien.  I'm about 2/3rds of the way done with the novel.  It's another satire/parody of "serious" sci-fi by Gini Koch.  I've enjoyed the premise and will have a full review when I get done with the novel.  Ms. Koch has an entire series of these books.  I picked up one at random and began reading it.  I'm not sure if I'd go back and read the rest of them (I don't have the time with all the other reading I need to do).

The last ebook I'm reading is "Masters of the Art:  A Fighting Marine's Marine of the Vietnam War" by Winter.  I read about his trip over the continent USA to California and then across the Pacific to Hawaii and then Vietnam.  I just began Winter's actual combat tour in Vietnam.  He was a door gunner on a CH-46 Sea Knight.  It's taken awhile to get his combat experiences.  So far, it looks like it'll be good.  However, Mr. Winter is a decent writer.  That's made "Masters of the Art" an easy read...

Guards and "Masters of the Art" are ebooks.  Alien vs. Alien is an old fashioned hard copy.  I'm trying to read both because of the backlog of novels and ebooks I have on my bookshelves and NOOK Ereader.


No comments:

Post a Comment