Friday, June 24, 2016

Late June 2016 reading...

I spent another weekend reading Small Favor by Jim Butcher.  I got another 100 pages into it.  I'm now reading it again today.  I'd like to get another 50 pages done this weekend.  The narrator is Harry Dresden, a wizard/private investigator.  His beat is Chicago set in urban fantasy.  This is the first book I've read in the series, The Dresden Files.  It's been entertaining....

I read The Last Stand of Fox Company by Bob Drury yesterday.  I'm only reading a chapter a week.  Because of that, it's been a slow go.  The book is about the 7th US Marine Infantry Regiment at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War.  I finished the opening chapter where a Chinese People's Liberation Army infantry battalion has attacked Fox Company on a snowy November night.  I'm amazed how unprepared we were to deal with the Chinese during this conflict.  Or what a loon MacArthur was...

The beginning of the week had me try and read Analog Magazine.  I started a novella.  But I got side-tracked Sunday afternoon.  I'll try and do better this Sunday.  I also read 4 chapters out of Proxima by Stephen Baxter.  He managed to kill all of the convict settlers off except for Yuri Eden and a marooned Australian astronaut on Proxima Centauri c.  There are other lifeforms on the planet, which is an Earth-like satellite of a red dwarf star.  It's getting to the point of first contact between Eden and the "builders."


No comments:

Post a Comment